Guest Info, must read
Samatian is a private island of approximately 30 acres on Lake Baringo, a fresh water lake in the Kenya’s Great Rift Valley. Samatian is a private home to the Roberts & Withey Families of Nanyuki, now open to self catering (bring your own food and drinks) guests on an exclusive basis. Baringo is a short 1 ½ hour drive north of Nakuru on a tarred road (approx. 125kms). For those flying in, there is an airstrip close to Roberts’ Camp, on the shores of Lake Baringo, & transfers to the Island will be arranged. We have a private hangar there for your plane.
Accommodation comprises 4 airy, open-plan thatched rooms. 2 rooms are family units with a partitioned bedroom, verandah, sitting room & bathroom. The other 2 rooms are en suite with sitting areas. Due to the recent flooding & dramatic rise in water levels, there is currently no filtered swimming pool, it now operates as a plunge pool with us changing the water regularly. All bedding, mosquito nets, towels, loo paper, soap, firewood & charcoal are provided at the Island. Your host team will be local Njemps people from the Baringo area with Richard at the helm to make your stay as enjoyable as possible, please don't hesitate to ask any questions.
As a guest of Samatian Island, a few things concerning your stay :-
1. If driving from Nairobi Follow the main road to Nakuru (2.5 hours). You will reach a highway going into Nakuru. After going under a railway bridge, you will come to a roundabout. Go straight through the roundabout & shortly you will arrive at a second roundabout. Turn right at second roundabout. Go over railway lines and turn left at T-junction. It’s a straight road from here for about 125kms. You’ll pass through Mogotio (57 kms) and Marigat (110 kms). 17 kms after Marigat take a right (you will see a collection of signs). Head to Kipsang’s Jetty - take a right turn in the village and then a left about 50 yards on to meet the boat. Kindly pay a fee of 500/- per vehicle per day to the watchman directly. Alternatively you can park at Roberts Camp for the same fee if they have parking space, remember to let Richard know where you will park.
2. Kindly call Richard, the caretaker, when leaving Nakuru to give the boats ample time to position themselves on the mainland. His number is 0727896211. Alternatively Nixons number is 072 997 3622 (although he doesn't speak good English).
3. We have 2 Sesse Canoe boats for transport and ferrying luggage. These boats are designed to carry 7 passengers at any time & under all circumstances must be driven only by our driver. Boats have life jackets for your use. Please note that the lake often gets rough in the evenings & bear this in mind if arriving at this time. A return boat transfer to the Island and back per group is included in the price of your stay. Any additional transfers should be paid to Richard at a rate of Kshs 3000 per return trip. If you would like to use the boat for excursions the running rate for this is Kshs 2250 per ½ hour. Please pay Richard cash for this directly and he will issue you a Samatian Island ltd receipt.
5. Guests are requested to vacate the Island by 10.00 A.M. on their day of departure. Guests are requested NOT to check in prior to 12 P.M to give sufficient time to the staff to prepare the rooms (unless prior arrangement has been made with management). Guests are asked to take their empty glass and plastic bottles with them on departure. This ensures our human footprint on the island is kept to a minimum. Please remember to check the kitchen for all cool boxes or items you want to return home with.
6. Registration form: You will be issued a registration form, please fill this in on your arrival and give to Richard if you have not already emailed this. Each person in the group must sign, or parent on behalf of a child. This is a requirement by law.
7. We wish you a pleasant stay, please don't hesitate to contact the owners on the below numbers should you need any further clarifications.
Mobile: +254 (0)722 207772, Mobile: (0)722 706895